Considering the loss of real-time classroom teaching, because of the Covid-19 pandemic and lockdown, CBSE reduced the syllabus of classes 9 to 12 by 30% for the present 2020-21 batch.
CBSE syllabus has been rationalized keeping more emphasis on the learning outcomes so, the core concepts of students can be retained.
However, the board in its official notification mentioned that the deleted portions of the CBSE syllabus should not be considered for internal assessments or for the year-end board exams.
Also, teachers should ensure that deleted portions must be explained to the students so that they can use it to connect to other topics.
CBSE has made the early changes in the month of April itself considering the ongoing situation but as the lockdown got extended and the Covid-19 pandemic became worse, the reduction off bigger syllabi was on the table.
Updates for REDUCTION in class 9 maths CBSE syllabus is given below:
UNIT 1 NUMBER SYSTEM
- Representation of terminating/ non-terminating recurring decimals on the number line through successive magnification.
- Explaining that every real number is represented by a unique point on the number line and conversely, viz. every point on the number line represents a unique real number.
- Definition of nth root of a real number.
Unit 2 ALGEBRA
1. Motivate and State the remainder theorem with example
2. Statement proof of the factor theorem
Linear equations in two variables –
1. Examples problems on ratio and proportion
Unit 3 CO-ORDINATE GEOMETRY
UNIT 4 -GEOMETRY
Introduction to Euclid’s geometry- deleted the chapter
Lines and angles – no deletion
- Proof of the theorem deleted through Triangles are congruent if any two angles and the included side of one triangle is equal to any two angles and included side of the triangle (ASA congruence)
Topic deleted– Triangle inequality is and the relation between angle and facing side inequalities in a triangles
Quadrilateral – no deletion
Area – Deleted the chapter
1. there is one and only circle passing through the given non-collinear points
2. If a line segment joining two points subtend equal angles at to other points lying on the same side of the line containing the segment the Four Points lie on a circle.
Construction– Construction of a triangle of given perimeter and base angles.
UNIT 5- MENSURATION
Areas– Application of heron’s formula in finding the area of a quadrilateral
Surface areas and volumes– No deletion
UNIT 6 STATISTICS AND PROBABILITY
- Histogram (with varying base length)
- Frequency polygon.
- Mean, median, and mode of ungrouped data
Probability– no deletion.
Read my article on how to write a blog post.