This health and diet industry is full of myths and talks. they tell you many variety of things on how to lose weight.
People are advised (generally thrown into a well of expensive products) to buy stuff, do a variety of crazy things, without any legitimate science behind it.
This blog will be about facts and research full of science and proven ways to eat healthily and loose weight.
Losing weight is not a one night task, it needs determination, focus, regularity, and a healthy mindset. Loosing weight requires both mental and physical elements of a person.
So, question you must have in mind regarding this article?
Who am I to speak about this?
Why would you consider this article, Out of millions of articles? Why do we trust you to take advice?
Well, I managed to lose some 12 kgs of weight by doing what I’ m gonna talk about, without any supplements, surgeries, hormones, pills, injections, expensive food, and stuff.
25 Healthy habits on how to lose weight naturally:
- Drink more water.
- Try having black coffee once in a day, preferably in the evening.
- Drink green tea in the morning.
- Start cutting additives sugar from food, natural sugar is fine to consume.
- Switch your oil preferences to desi ghee and extra virgin olive oil.
- Try carrying extra healthy snacks in your bag.
- Make green veggies/ salads handier.
- Remove canned foods/ drinks/ snacks from your refrigerator.
- Cook your own food/ serve yourself.
- Avoid diet food. (diet coke, diet soda, etc.)
- Grab small plates and small spoons.
- Switch white bread to whole grain bread.
- Cut down extra salts.
- Eat spicy food.
- Add some 20-30min of exercise in your schedule; Zumba, stretch, yoga, dance are fun, strength, and calorie-burning activity.
- A good amount of sleep is a must.
- Eat more fibers and proteinaceous food.
- Chew slowly and take your time.
- Fill the fridge and kitchen with healthy food.
- smoking, drinking is a big no-no zone.
- Do not diet- eat healthily.
- Avoid stepping into junkie food outlets / Dhabba’s/ restaurant etc. and if you are going check the menu for healthy options.
- Try making your own healthy recipe, keep experimenting with food. Believe me, you will definitely feel good to eat.
- Do not cut food and amount of calories suddenly, do it in a stepwise manner. Give the body time to adapt and regulate.
- Do not skip breakfast, call it a night earlier, try having dinner as early as possible.
Let’s Break each point on how to lose weight
Drink more water
- Drinking plenty of water is essential for overall health, and is a great way to boost your weight-loss efforts.
- According to a study, we inappropriately respond to thirst by eating instead of drinking? – Journal Physiology & Behaviour.
- By drinking enough water, you will increase your metabolism, improve digestion, and remain energized and focused!
- Believe it or not, drinking enough water will actually keep your body from retaining water, thus helping you feel slimmer!
Try having black coffee once in a day
- A good amount of sleep is a must
- Being well-rested is just another way to ensure that you make the healthiest choices possible.
- A lack of sleep often causes cravings for sweet and salty snacks, which can negatively impact weight loss. Try to improve the quality of the rest you do get.
- Poor sleep is one of the biggest risk factors for obesity, as it’s linked to an 89% increased risk of obesity in children and 55% in adults, According to a study
Drink green tea in the morning
- Contains healthy bioactive compounds.
- May improve brain function.
- Increases fat burning.
- Antioxidants may lower the risk of some cancers.
- To protect the brain from aging.
- Reduce bad breath.
- Help prevent type 2 diabetes.
- May help prevent cardiovascular disease.
Chew slowly and take your time
- It’s not a race. Sit down, focus on your food, and chew longer than you normally would.
- Chewing properly allows you to absorb as many nutrients as possible, help you eat lesser calories, and increase the production of hormones related to weight loss. (study 1, 2)
- Attentive chewing is really helpful, reduces the intake of extra calories, absorption of nutrients, and more active usage jaw and mouth muscles.
Grab small plates and small spoons
- Using small plates helps people automatically consuming lesser calories, than usuals.
- This habit is useful when people are trying to lose weight because it tricks your brain into thinking you’re eating more, thereby feeling fuller, quicker.
Fill the fridge and kitchen with healthy food
- By doing this you are increasing your chances of cooking something healthy, especially when you come back home after a tiring day from work.
- Prioritizing healthy foods in front of junk food. That way, when you’re craving a cookie you have to push aside the almonds, oats, quinoa, etc. to get to it.
- It’ll serve as a small reminder to keep up your better-body goals.
Start cutting additives sugar from food, natural sugar is fine to consume
Sugar is bad, but sugar in liquid form is even worse. Studies show that calories from liquid sugar may be the single most fattening aspect of the diet.
Do not skip breakfast, call it a night earlier, try having dinner as early as possible.
Cut down extra salts
Sprinkling salt on food without even tasting it is not good. Extra sodium can lead to water weight gain and bloating, which will make your pants fit tighter.
The tie between sodium and obesity is three fold:
- First, salty foods tend to increase thirst, and many people quench that thirst with beverages packed with calories.
- One study estimated that if the amount of sodium in an average child’s diet was cut in half, their consumption of sugary drinks would decrease by about two per week.
- Second, salt enhances the taste of foods and therefore may encourage overeating.
- Finally, there is some animal research to show that a high sodium diet may affect the activity of fat cells, making them larger.
Smoking , drinking is a big no-no zone
The average adult consumes about 100 calories worth of alcohol daily, but instead of beer or sugary cocktails, favoring a glass of wine helps reduce that caloric figure and make your waistline slimmer.
In addition, red wine, in particular, contains resveratrol, an antioxidant that is believed to have heart health benefits because it prevents blood vessel damage and reduces your ‘bad cholesterol.’
Eat more fibers and proteinaceous food
People who want to lose weight need to consume a high-protein diet. This helps a person feel satisfied for a long time which can lead to having fewer calories overall. This, in turn, helps in quick weight loss. Moreover, proteins help boost metabolism which is also essential for weight loss. Fiber is often recommended for weight loss.
A dietary regimen of fiber-rich food could be a primary solution to overcome obesity.
Over the past decades, scientists have been investigating the role of dietary fiber to prevent obesity through innumerable experimental or observational studies.
Epidemiological evidence showed that dietary fiber in either soluble or insoluble form helps to reduce weight among overweight or obese adults. (study paper)
Foods that are high in soluble fiber include flaxseeds, sweet potatoes, fruits like apricots and oranges, Brussels sprouts, legumes, and grains like oatmeal.
However, although soluble fiber may help you lose belly fat, it’s not a great idea to eat lots of soluble fiber right away.
Do not skip breakfast, call it a night earlier, try having dinner as early as possible.
Skipping the morning meal can throw off your body’s rhythm of fasting and eating. When you wake up, the blood sugar your body needs to make your muscles and brain work their best is usually low. Breakfast helps replenish it.
People who skip their morning meal are more likely to have clogged arteries. Skipping breakfast is linked to other harmful habits which can leads to hypertension, obesity, high blood pressure and high cholesterol which in turn increase the risk of heart attacks, strokes by 27%
Try carrying extra healthy snacks in your bag
Walnuts, almonds, cashews, and Brazil nuts are all low in carbs while also being excellent sources of good fats and fiber, meaning they keep you fuller longer.
A fiber-rich diet was associated with greater weight loss, lower levels of “bad” LDL cholesterol, and higher levels of “good” HDL cholesterol (Le et al., 2016).
This suggests that eating a handful of walnuts every day could help to stimulate fat loss and promote a healthy body weight.
Conclusion: How to lose weight
Work Towards a Reward – the last tip is one of my personal favorites. I like choosing rewards other than food or cheat meals. Choose a reward that is likely to keep you on track, whether it’s having a new outfit to wear, a mini beach vacay, or anything else you can come up with!
There are a number of ways to lose weight without exercise, you just have to think outside the box a little bit!
Eat real food, make healthy choices, and exercise when you can find the time. Through consistency, you will be able to make all of your health and fitness dreams come true.